Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Oh Melodies

Most of my stories revolve around work and commuting.
I guess because I am now one of "those people". Ya know, the drone-y
ones who spend their lives sleeping and working because they are too tired
and/or lazy (mostly the second one in my case) to do anything else.
If you actually take the time to stop and look
 at what is going on around you, you realize that,
everyone is absolutely absorbed in their phones, Ipads, or kindles.

When you actually do stumble upon the person who isn't absorbed in some electronic
device they are either one of three things:
A) Really weird and probably a serial killer or kidnapper in the making,
(Cause naturally that's totally the first thing people would assume, am I right?!)
B) Seriously old and have no idea what those "thingers" are, or
C) a child (The still not having teeth, drool all the time kind, naturally.)

I mean, how anyone can actually get through a commute without
using some kind of music is something I truly can NOT comprehend.
My brain can't wrap itself around the concept.
So, basically, all that was some unnecessary hoopla that leads us to my actual story.

I can't go anywhere without my music, it just gets that extra pep in my step.
I always find myself walking in time to the beat, sometimes
when I am feeling super cool and daring I will challenge myself to walk
out of step with the beat. Naturally, I always fail...miserably.

So one particular day, as I was droning my way down the street like the rest of these
workaholic New York electronic addicted zombies, I found myself utterly exhausted from a long day
of doing absolutely nothing. Eventually, I made it through the throngs of obnoxious
peppy people in Grand Central to my train.
Almost immediately when I take my seat my eyes close and I just start to lose
myself in my music. Tapping my foot, doing a tiny hip shake... nothing that will draw
too much attention to myself. I pretend that's true at least.

Anyway, I got so lost in my own head and mouthing the
words to the songs that I just completely forget where I am.
That was until I open my eyes and realize that I was just singing & dancing to Justin Bieber....
OUT LOUD.
That whole entire time, I was "mouthing" the words... I was actually singing.
I was absolutely mortified. I couldn't look at anyone after that.
Naturally, I started sitting in a different train car from that day forward.
So I don't have to see the "regulars" who had to bare witness
to such an unforgivable mishap.

No comments:

Post a Comment