Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Mini Me

I have one older brother.
Naturally, being the little one in the family, I just idolized him.
Dana could do no wrong ( yeah, my mom also has a thing for unisex names... she's weird).
Anything he did, I wanted to do.
He wanted to be a ninja turtle, Sydney wanted to be a ninja turtle.
Dana ate a hot dog, Sydney definitely wanted a hot dog too. If he had decided
that he was going to get a mullet, walk around on one foot while singing stupid songs and
 clanging pots together, welp, you better bet your ass I was gonna be
right there with him. As we got older, this
phase of wanting to be like him didn't wane. He wanted
"mens" to play with (aka G.I. Joe's), then I totally wanted them too!
I mean, if Dana was doing it, Dana... the man, the myth, the legend
(at least thats how my little brain saw him) then I was hooked on it too.
Yet, as we got older, he got too "cool" to have his six year old
sister lagging behind him all the time. With my super sweet tie dye
jumpsuits (everyone was super jealous), imprinted with a disney princess on the top (Ariel, all day),
paired with my big blue eyes in an even bigger head
and little blonde ringlets falling everywhere.
You can see why he would be embarrassed... totally not cool for his "street cred"
or whatever it is that 9 year olds have.
Naturally, He began excluding me *insert sad sigh here*.
So when that infamous night, where he asked if I wanted to play finally rolled around,
I said HELL YES! Well, not really, but that's the phrase equivalent of how excited I was.
Little did I know what was in store for me... These were the days when
he was big into the WWF (World Wide Wrestling Federation for you ninnies who don't know). 
"Alright Sydney, Just stand at the edge of the couch and don't move!"
*Vigorously Nods Head* Proceeds to assume the aforementioned position.
I totally had no idea what was going on.
I mean, I didn't really care... my big brother wanted me to hang out with him!
This was the best day of my little life.
All of the sudden, I see a blur of movement from across
the room. Time started to go very slowly as I watched him move
toward me, it was like a panther going in for the attack.
Sheer determination and grit.
And, that's when I felt it... his forearm connected right with my throat.
"And she's down with a CLOSE LINE to the throat by the Mighty Dana Warrior"

Sidebar:
Ultimate Warrior was his dude back in the day!
Now, I don't know about all that. Stone Cold was kind of in his prime
back in these days and I must say the stunner was just too
effective. But, I will let his lack of good judgement slide.

I heard ringing in my head as my tiny body is being hurtled through the air into
the back couch cushions.
That's when the tears started.  Pouring down my face like the breaking of a dam.
As he stands over me, the triumphant winner he looks down, pointing,
and says it's time for the champ to "finish him"!
Giving a diving aerial jump off the ropes with a little peoples elbow for flare. 
BOOM!
 (If you aren't a big WWE person, it's basically, he body slams his body
onto me with his elbow to my gut.)

That's when shit got real....
Out came Sydney Hulk! *Cue Mortal Kombat theme song*
Little, ol blue angel eyes, stands up and opens a great big can of whoop ass
on Mighty Dana Warrior. Circa, my fav, the one and only, Mr. Stone Cold Steve Austin!
Kidding.... I actually just stood up and let him close line me again
and then he taught me how to do it myself.
That is the story of how I became a Wrestling Aficionado.
And, that is my totally pointless family bonding story!


No comments:

Post a Comment