Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rantings, Ravings and Rudeness

Here goes nothing y'all. I need to complain, I promise
that I will try my utmost to not do this often. This has just been slowly getting
to me and I feel like if I don't say something I might just boil over.
Not to mention it's pretty crappy weather
and it just makes it easier to succumb to bad moods.
 
I realized something recently, more specifically this past weekend. On Saturday I was in
a cab on my way to Grand Central, when the cabbie asked me what I did for
a living. Immediately my first thought was to make something up. Something that sounded
cool and as if I was doing something "worthwhile". I didn't want that pitying look
that seems to come every time I tell the truth or the ever present
condescending statement "oh.... that's nice".
As if they had really high hopes for me and I let them down with my admission.
It's absurd.
 
I was astonished and ashamed of myself. I have no reason to be ashamed. I am a receptionist / administrative assistant. That is nothing for me to feel bad about. How dare I let anyone make me feel
less than because they somehow believe my current job is "simple" or makes me
"simple". Who are they to judge me and what I do?
 
Do I have the ability to do something more "difficult", even more time consuming? Yeah, sure I do. Here's the thing... I love my job. I work with an absolutely amazing group of people.
It's astonishing really because each person in the office is smart, kind and truly funny. I actually enjoy when I get into the office. Yes, I answer phones, do lots of spreadsheets, take messages and do jobs that would generally be considered monotonous, but so what?
 
 I mean, I have a job. I get paid a salary and work with people I enjoy.
 How many people can say that? Not many, sadly. I am thankful. So frigging thankful.
For the opportunity, for having the chance to meet these people, to
be able to be closer to some of my friends.
 
I hate that I ever let anyone make me think there was something wrong with what I do.
That ends now... Right? I think that's a good plan.

(My super cool desk)

2 comments:

  1. Cool blog, nice content. In terms of what you talked about in this post, I've sometimes found myself in a similar place.

    When somebody asks you what you do, you always want to say something cool.

    You say you have the ability to do something more difficult/time consuming, but then you defend your current job and it's almost like you're trying to convince yourself it's the right thing for you.

    It's cool to get paid a salary and work with people you enjoy, but in the end, there's more to life than that. Unless you think that this job really is your full potential, which I doubt.

    If you truly love what you do, other people's opinions wouldn't matter. You seem like a good writer and a smart person, you can go much further than the confines of a cubicle. Don't hold yourself back. It's good to be thankful, but don't limit yourself.

    I currently work at a job I'm not particularly ecstatic about. I don't plan to stick around long. As of now, I'm working towards more entrepreneurial pursuits because that's the only way I know I can achieve my full potential. And of course, so I can look really cool when NYC cabbies ask me what I do :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, and this job isn't about loving what I do. This job is about starting somewhere until I figure out what that passion in my life turns out to be. I will stay with this job as long as I am supposed to and the rest will come when it is time, at least I think so!

      And but of course, you have to look good in front of those New York Cabbies!! :)

      Delete